Mental Recess – Give Yourself a Break
It’s common among overachiever types: We like to push ourselves.
Sometimes it’s to get from A to B. Sometimes it’s to create the illusion of change when really, you’re just spinning your wheels. Sometimes it’s simply to avoid standing still and accepting the moment as it is.
All that pushing can feel so smart and productive—until you’re exhausted, overextended, overwhelmed, or otherwise ready to snap.
Can you relate? Let’s take a look at some simple ideas to give yourself a break.
8 Ways to Give Yourself a Mental Recess in 5 Minutes or Less
- Look out a window. Do a little people watching, appreciate any birds within view, or enjoy some fluffy clouds rolling by. Allow yourself to daydream for a few minutes.
- Listen to relaxation music. You may like to hear chirping birds, rolling waves, or gentle rain — whatever your choice, closing your eyes and listening to these soothing sounds while doing some deep breathing can help you relax and de-stress.
- Meditate or pray. Take some time to meditate or pray, even if it’s just for five minutes.
- Breathe deeply. Use a deep breathing technique to calm your nervous system and clear your thoughts.
- Play. Set aside some time to play and be childlike. Sing, paint, dance, or otherwise express yourself creatively. It’s terribly hard to stress and over-think when you’re engaged in something fun and expressive.
- Get outside. Feel the ground or grass underneath your feet and focus on being present on enjoying your environment and the scenery.
- Single task. Close down the multiple tabs on your computer screen and instead single-task. If you’re writing, write. If you’re balancing your checking account, do it. Give yourself permission to get into a state of flow and let all distractions slip away.
- Stretch. Spend a few minutes stretching your body. Check out our facebook page for ideas on how to stretch and exercise at your desk.
These are simply reminders and some encouragement to take a break. Why not choose one and do it right now?
Taken from 40 Ways to Give Yourself a Break By Lori Deschene and 6 Ways to Take a Mental Vacation By Diana Rodriguez